Friday 29 June 2012

da da da da da.. CHIHUAHUA!!!

Well, someone, not mentioning names (*cough* Sophie) dared me to do a post about chihuahuas. So I am. God only knows what this will do to my page views. :) So let's get this chihuahua-themed party started...

1) it ticks me off to NO END when people spell "chihuahuas" as "chiwawas!" Seriously people! It's not THAT hard! :( Bet you wouldn't like it if all the chihuahuas kept using the spelling "peepull" for "people" now would you? (That said, if you found a dog that could write at all then spelling may not be that important to you. Unless you're an English teacher.)

2) the chihuahua is the smallest dog in the world. Some (fine, many) people say they look like rats - I disagree. To me they look like fennec foxes. Anyone else see the resemblance?

3) chihuahuas originated from Mexico. At least, that's what the most common theory is. There has been some speculation, but I won't go into that here.

4) chihuahuas were bred as companion dogs, making them the perfect pets for many households. However, due to their size people think they are good for young children, when in fact it is the opposite. Chihuahuas are more delicate than, say, a Labrador, and young children are not gentle enough, they could hurt the dog.

5) there are many myths about the chihuahua. They are not yappy, unless you keep them cooped up all day. Take them for a walk and play with them often and they'll be fine. They are also not nippy. Most people think that the chihuahua is a very snappy demon-dog. This is not the case. If a dog is snappy, it is more often than not the trainer's fault. It's small dog syndrome. Because of their tiny size, the owner does not think it is necessary to, for example, not allow the chi to jump, when if he had a german shepherd he would discipline it, for it could knock someone over. This is sub-consciously saying to the chihuahua "go ahead. Do whatever you want. You're the pack leader." Most owners don't even realise they're doing this. Listen to Cesar Millan, people! That guy is amazing. A miracle worker, even.

I don't personally myself have a chihuahua. Oh, but I'm working on it. >:) I have done loads of research though. Anyone have a chihuahua? You do? I'm insanely jealous!!! Please post me a pic or tell me about him/her! I'd also love any chi owning tips or anecdotes anyone has to give! Thanks guys!

And don't forget to read Joy Prebles's Dreaming Anastasia, Haunted and Anastasia Forever when it comes out August 7th! Pretty please? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment